Thursday, March 21, 2013

Road Trips and Past Memories

Took a little road trip with my brother last week. Primarily it was a business related trip, still working on settling my dad's estate, but it was good to see the old stomping grounds down in Silver City, NM for the few hours we were there. Man has that town changed since I left back in 1998. Just going down town and not seeing my dad's bookstore there anymore feels weird. Even the old Gila Theater is a ghost of itself. A old fashioned single screen built back in the 1950's. I can remember seeing many movies there once upon a time ago like Her Alibi, and The Land Before Time just to name a couple. These days it's closed with crappy displays up in the windows. Even the landscape of WNMU has changed. But there are old standby's that have stood the test of time such as "W" mountain, Kneeling Nun, the Drifter, Buffalo Bar are still there in what's left of their glory. I really need to take more pictures when I get down there.

But the weather was perfect. Had some down time while our lawyer was doing his job before we had to leave town. A bonus of small town living. He was able to get things drawn up, get it to the courthouse for signatures, the works before the end of business. Good stuff.

So here's where their will be some pics for a change.

First I'll start with Big Ditch Park. Basically it's a walkway with benches that runs next to a big ditch. The ditch is the result of runoff that literally washed away the original main street back in the day.






  Now here's a pic of "W" mountain. The first is a shot from a distance driving into town from neighboring Tyrone, NM.


Here's from the middle of town. You can see exactly where it is from the Lube & Wash which was built long after I moved away.

Look just to the left of the sign. It helps to enlarge the picture.



And to close, a piece of childhood memory. The park in Tyrone where my grandpa taught me how to play basket ball. A bit run down these days, but still in use. Yes, it's all metal, and the slides are pretty high.


The pill box to the right is a new construct.







No comments:

Post a Comment