Thursday, September 5, 2013

Marthon of Life: Dean Karnazes Inspiration

Today will be a little different than my norm. Not that I really have a norm. Instead, today we'll be taking a quick look at a book a brother Marine recommended. Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner by Dean Karnazes. Now before I get into it, I'll take a second to remind you, I'm not big on running. If you recall my previous blog on fun exercise, I made it pretty clear. But this book made me want to lace up and hit the pavement. To sum it up quickly, it's a great read.

Dean writes this, picking segments out of his life. Where he first found his love of the run, to where he is now. Throughout his story, you come across humor that makes you want to yell, "Run, Forest, Run." At the same time though, you get presented with something that most sport/athletic books leave out, injury. And I'm not talking the occasionally mentioned bumps, bruises, and barely mentioned breaks. I'm talking details that make you take notice, and say, "Holy COW!" At the same time, however, Dean doesn't go into painstakingly descriptive rants about it. It's simple, and straight forward with just enough detail.

From the get go, the book pulls you right in. It's not written like a biography, nor is it written like a sports journal. Which lets face it, too many sports books are. Instead, Dean writes like he's talking directly to you. And why not? He is in fact telling his story to the world. It reads like a casual conversation that you'd have with a close friend. This is seriously the fastest read I've had in years.

Even though it's about him and his exploits, he doesn't just ramble on about himself. He talks about his family, what they've been through, how they've grown, and how they've hit the high's and low's of life together, adapted and overcome. Love and loss, it's all right there. He talks about some of the people he's met, and who all he runs for as well. If anything you find love and tragedy throughout this book, but in good portions. Neither overshadows the other.

Ultimately this book is about the ultra marathon we call life. Running is just how Dean gets through it. It's inspiring, a breath of fresh air, and a lost toe nail all at once. While I'd love to give more detail, I'm afraid I'd get carried away and give out too much. So I'll simply say go read this book. It will make you feel good.

P.S. Thanks for the great recommendation Adam. Semper Fi brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment