Saturday, June 10, 2023

They almost had me

Sitting down to write, I'm in a dilemma. I've had a personal, and other blogs running on Blogger since January 2013. Prior to that I was utilizing Opera, which unfortunately shut down. Now, don't get me wrong, Blogger has been a good tool. However, I've noticed that views have dropped dramatically since Google+ was shuttered. And has continued to decline ever since. I'm also realize that people are turning to things like YouTube and Rumble more and more.

Now, when you try to research online, everything is saying that blogging is still relevant. I find myself questioning this though. Could it be Blogger and of course the algorithm that chases the almighty dollar. Another possibility. If so, then another reason to stop using the google owned platform.

Then there's the comfort factor. It's been my writing outlet for over a decade! So, if blogging is relevant, and the platform is still a good one then the questions need to be changed. What happened that caused high viewership to drop? And how do I find new people that would be interested in what I write? A change is needed somewhere.

I do feel that the second question is the most important of the two either way. A lot of what you come across pushes hard on sharing on social media. Here's the reality of it though. Nobody there cares. They may be well meaning, but just like trying to run a business, let's be honest. People are there for memes and videos. Anything else is a waste of their time. The blogging and writer groups, and there is a plethora of them, have become a joke as well. Many just littered with clickbait. The rest all trying to sell something. The vast majority blanket anything of value, anything worth reading, so deep you can't find it. 

So I looked at WordPress. I have to admit that they offer quite a bit. However, after looking through it, I'm not overly impressed. It's well laid out, and in such a way that it makes their marketing so tempting to sign up with. However, most of what they offer paying customers isn't being used. No, don't lie, those of you who are there only use certain things every time and with few exceptions what is being paid for versus used is an over payment by a large margin. It actually reminds me of Planet Fitness. Sure, you pay a certain amount, it looks really good, but it's set in a way that makes you not want to bother with it. Just subscribe and forget is how it feels. 

Am I wrong? Should I give them a second go? 

No comments:

Post a Comment