Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Rant for the Future of TV

So a few years ago I cut the cord. No more cable/ satellite TV. No more letting the industry gouge me on what I want to watch. Will I still overpay some? Sure, anyone that watches anything outside of just having rabbit ears on their TV will always be overpaying at some point. For instance the cost of a DVD costs a fraction of what we usually end up paying, even when something is on sale. So I invested in a Roku. LOVE IT!
My Roku (Angry Birds Edition)
It sets me up with what I am willing to pay for, and I can stream it when I'm ready. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, PBS & PBS Kids, etc. It's all there. But once again, the industry got those of us that have cut the cord in a position for it to laugh at us. Sure, it's not bad to have to wait a day or two for a new episode with some networks. But others (ala Turner Networks to name one) are jerks about it. Now I can understand still having us pay. For instance, I don't mind purchasing a full season here or there. SouthLAnd, SOA, and a few others, I'll happily shell out a few bucks for. But it's really poor decision making to force people into cable to watch something. Some networks say, "We have it online now!" And technically they do, so long as you're a paying cable subscriber. But that's garbage. Now, I'm not saying they have to go to a service like Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu. They could open a website for subscription on their own. Or even put their product up for purchase on Google Play, Xbox Video, iTunes, etc. If they run their own site, they don't even have to worry about a middle man.

After all, why should someone have to pay for cable when they only watch a couple of actual cable channels? It would make more sense to go a la cart, or through a streaming service. In some respects I wonder if it's the individual companies unwillingness to move forward and take a chance with new technology such as smartphones, and multimedia devices like tablets, ipods, and Android mp3 players. 

What's more is it punishes those who are trying to better live within their means, or just plain can't afford the luxury of cable. And make no mistake, it is a luxury. I hope the streaming companies such as previously mentioned, and others like Crackle keep putting out quality original programming in addition to the various other content. So to all who see this blog, I recommend cutting the cord and putting more pressure on the networks to move into the modern technical age by putting their products online for us. If YOU work for a cable provider, please put my suggestion in your local suggestion box. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the a la cart idea. To be honest, the only reason I have not completely cut the cord is for NFL Sunday Ticket, which my wife "allows" me to splurge on each year. And yes, I know you can get it on xbox as well, but if I am paying for it anyway I would rather have the better quality on my big TV.

    On a side note, if any of your readers are into professional American football and have to make deals with their significant other in order to be a loyal living room spectator, I have some excellent advice. Start a fantasy football team, intentionally leave one empty slot and beg them to "just join so we can hold the draft" and tell them they don't even have to participate. They will. Suddenly BAM! You get to watch every football game on TV.

    I completely hijacked your blog post and I'm sorry about that. It wasn't intentional.

    http://burntcoffeesucks.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some perks here and there with individual packages, so true. When it comes to Xbox, I actually prefer their UFC app, as it gives you more bang for your buck. For me, it was ultimately about saving money. And when I compare how much I spend now with various services that stream, versus actually paying for cable, it's a clear win. And with exception of our TV in the living room, our bedroom and guest room only have standard TV's so it's not a big deal for us when it comes down to the definition.

      The advise on the fantasy league is a good call. Works well with end season brackets as well, a la college hoops. Fortunately for me, my wife likes some sports as well. So I don't have to deal with any flack when it comes to some.

      No worries about the long post. I like the interaction. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Burton,
    I would have to agree with your idea also. Cable companies make us pay way too much. Even with the bundles that include cable, internet, and phone. It costs way too much per month like Charter Communications (the cable company I use). You have to pay extra in order to see Teen Nick, Cartoon Network Eastern and Western, TCM (Turner Classic Movies), Biography, and a bunch of the HD channels. These extra channels only come with the cable box.

    I like DirecTV because we did not have to pay that much per month to watch what we wanted at any given time. The downside is when weather came through, and it caused the satellite dish to lose signal(which was a definite bummer). I never even heard of Roku until just now. I think it is cost effective so you do not have to pay so much per month to watch shows/ movies you absolutely enjoy.

    It is very sad how cable companies can just squeeze people dry.I also forgot about how Charter Communications charges you so much when you order a movie that just came out in their system. Which is yet another very sad thing. :\

    ReplyDelete