Saturday, May 18, 2013

Unplugged Review

So recently I discussed unplugging, and my quest to settle on an mp3 player. Well kiddies, I finally got an mp3 player that meet my needs. I settled on the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2. And so far I'm pretty happy with it.



Is it perfect? Well no, but nothing is. So time for a quick rundown. It runs smoothly, and has no trouble keeping up or multitasking. As you can see I have a couple of apps downloaded to it, with is great when near WiFi. But of course, I'm breaking away from that as well. So onboard it has 8 GB's and supports external memory via SD card up to 32 GB (though some testers have had luck with some 64 GB SD cards). So I can drop a ton of music on it, and a couple of games for that down time as well. It is running on a slightly dated version of Android, Gingerbread, but that's fine. Gingerbread has been good to me, and I'm not looking to replace my computer. WiFi is strong, and the Bluetooth is as solid as we can expect. I had no trouble connecting to my Roku with either.

Sound is pretty good, though I find it to be high towards the treble and low on bass, though that can be adjusted with various apps from the market place. Typical of FM radio, it uses wired headsets as the antennae. But I have say here that it is one of the best FM players I've ever used. I don't have to position the device in a certain direction, nor do I have to fidget with my ear-buds. It just reaches out and grabs those stations, and holds them well. And volume from the two speakers on the front is solid. I actually don't have to even turn it up half way and can hear my music strong.

Here on the back you can see the rear camera, no flash. It's nothing great but works well. It also came with a few different back plates as well. Ultimately you can see which one I chose obviously. The front camera is only VGA, but it works well for what little purpose it really serves. Here's a picture of yours truly using that VGA camera.

So far I'm pretty happy with the direction I'm headed. Now it's on to the next phase. Time to decide on a basic phone that will suit my needs. So in the immortal words of the late, great Paul Harvey, "Standby for news!"

2 comments:

  1. If I ever need something to multitask without messing with my music. I will definitely look to getting that. I love my bass so much. With my Panasonic earphones with cancelling technology. I can hear each beat of my music, and it is so hardcore.
    I wonder how well it will work with the Samsung Galaxy 4.2. Probably amazing with how you described it. I bet it does awesome things with dubstep music. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm still putting it through its paces, but it's done well. Rock, Rap, Country, and some old fashioned Tech has held its own. I was pretty happy with how well it performed with Lords of Acid, and Techmaster P.E.B. I've run everything from AC/DC, to Jerry Reed, Digital Underground, and then some. So from a music point of view, I don't think I'll have any trouble when it comes down to my tunes. Luckily I'm not looking to use it for a lot of gaming. With the limited on-board memory, that would be the one area it hurts. However, Sony has a model of it's own that has 32 GB on-board. I just couldn't justify spending what they're asking for theirs.

      Delete