Sunday, May 19, 2013

Quality Sushi in the Desert


I've always loved seafood, and fish. Now I know some are looking at that statement and thinking, "it's the same thing." It's not. If it doesn't come from the ocean, it's not seafood. If you've ever been fishing, and pulled a bite out of a lake, river, or other fresh water source, you know what I'm talking about. And I'm not talking about the breaded stuff you'll find at the local Walmart. Then one day I hit one of the best places in the world for one of my favorite dishes. I got stationed in Okinawa, Japan. It's a bit like letting a cat loose in a fish warehouse without storing the fish.
Welcome to Okinawa
Then I came back to the U.S. and learned just how accustomed to quality food I had become. With exception of living in a coastal city, you're going to have a hard time finding restaurants with "real quality" seafood or fish in the U.S. Being that I moved to New Mexico, I figured it would be a long time before I found something resembling the food I left behind. What's that? Red Lobster? Come on, that's the McDonald's of seafood. Sure it's decent food, but doesn't compare. And just because a place says it's a real Japanese kitchen, or seafood house doesn't make it so. Get rid of the theatrics and actually sit down for the food alone, it's not that great. Sadly, for a good while the best sushi to be had came out of an Albertson's grocery store.
My wife enjoying some quality food.
Now my wife didn't used to like seafood much. But she's slowly become more adventurous over the years. And recently has learned that sushi is good! A friend told her about a place called Sushi Hana here in downtown Albuquerque. So we checked it out. I was shocked, and overwhelmed with joy because it's the real deal! My wife even planned a surprise birthday party for me there.
My birthday cake made by my brother Stephen. You can contact him for your personalized cake at:
https://www.facebook.com/SweetToothDragon
They have a large selection of delicious morsels. And even cater to those who don't care much for sushi, but love noodles. So now I have a spot where I can enjoy quality seafood and fish away from home. And it gives me a place to reflect on the good ol days.

7 comments:

  1. I had the best sushi ever when I took a trip to Camp Zama, Japan, with Hawaii being a very close second. One if my favorite types of food. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like Japan. Philippines had some great good, and S. Korea when I passed through there. But when I got to Camp Hansen, Okinawa, Japan, I was in heaven. Tokyo was no different, absolutely the best sushi anywhere.

      Delete
  2. Well, I can't complain. I live in south Florida, and we have excellent seafood down here. I'd love to visit Japan though. It's definitely on my Bucket List. I love your birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan is a gem. I'd love to go back on day. Here in New Mexico we have a lot of Hispanic and Spanish foods. And then our local food is heavily influenced by that and Native American foods. Very fattening, but oh, so good.

      Delete
  3. I just added you to my reading feed. You have some great pictures on your blog.

    ReplyDelete