Sunday, July 21, 2013

What Exercise Should Be

There's one word that so many people hate. Even the hardcore individuals who do it, and preach it everyday. Exercise. It hurts, and isn't something we look forward too. But exercise isn't exercise when it's something you enjoy. At that point, it no longer seems like work.

I, like so many others, HATE running. I can't stress that enough. I've tried to get into it. Even when I was in the USMC I hated it. For a while I even ran twice a day during those years. That actually made me hate it even more. Briefly I enjoyed lifting weights while I attended NMMI. But it wasn't a heavily crowded gym, and I had a good friend to lift with, who was very knowledgeable. It was a rush to see my max increase. But after that, it bored me to death. And I know I'm not alone on this. However, everyone has something they enjoy.

Some love running. Some love weights. Some live for bicycles. The list goes on and on. For me it's swimming. For that matter, it's just about anything that has me completely surrounded by water. SCUBA, snorkeling, so long as I'm in the water, I'm happy. It's the one exercise that isn't exercise to me. It doesn't matter what I'm doing in it, just that I'm there. When I'm in the water, it's a whole different world. Above the water is noisy, people laughing, screaming, having fun, and the chaos of life is nearby. But under it, below crashing waves, and the splashes of divers, it's a silent and peaceful world. Much like riding my motorcycle, it's a place that lets me clear my mind, and just enjoy what nature has provided me.

But it doesn't end there for me. A pool is good, but it's not the best. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the pool too. But I like moving water. A lake, creek, or river a great. But the ocean is ultimately where it's at. Riding the waves, hovering in the water, and feeling the undertow and currents pushing me here and there. And then there's SCUBA. You can go to the same spot often, but no trip is ever the same. Strap an air tank on your back, some fins on your feet, and then you make an escape into the deep blue. The fish in the area vary, every approach on the coral is different, and sometimes you'll find a boat, or some other man made creation to explore. And sound. Sound is totally different under the sea. Crabs, and lobster clicking away, boats cruising by, bells and various things banging and clanging. To those who are land locked, these things don't seem so special. Once you're under water though, you can't tell where it's coming from. Not only that, but how close it is. You're surrounded by muffled, unique sounds, and all the chaos of the world is blocked out.

You can kick, pull, wiggle, and more. But there's nothing like that feeling in the water where you briefly get that point of weightlessness. You're in a space all your own. That's how exercise should be. It's not work. It's just an escape that helps you reset. And at the end of it, when you're all done, you'll realize just how hard you pushed yourself without knowing it. You'll know from the aches and pains. You won't curse it though. You'll welcome it, and go back for more.

Me in the East China Sea

2 comments:

  1. See, ironically, I love running. I run all the time (40-50 miles a week right now, going to be at about 70 by the end of August). I love weightlifting to keep my strength up. But I sink in the pool. Seriously; I have negative buoyancy. But SCUBA looks like it'd be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running just kills me. I get why some people like it. It seems like for those who like to beat their feet, it's comparable to motorcycle riding to a point. And I love to ride my bike. Weights are ok, but just not enough to really keep the heart rate up consistently plus you're not really going anywhere. You're just in the same area while you work out. The water just takes a life of it's own for me. But hey, different exercises are different for everyone. Just like you love running. It's good to have something. Any exercise is better than nothing though. :)

      Delete