Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bitter Sweet Goodbye


This actually ties in a bit to a previous blog post I put up about unplugging. So I deactivated my Facebook profile the other day. For the most part I haven't really had an interest in turning it back on this time. There's some urge to go there here and there, but I attribute that to having it for so long. I turned off the ol FB and suddenly there's less drama, and less whining to see.

I'm actually thinking about doing the same with my Twitter account. Other than posting links to my blog, and the occasional news post I find interesting, I don't use it for anything. There's a lot of whining there too. Other than a source to promote my blog, it's really nothing. Most things I read there are MMA related. And any legitimate news on that come across a 100 other media channels as well. So I wouldn't really lose anything.

To say I've lost anything would be a lie too. Since turning off FB I've noticed a significant drop in my blog viewer-ship. And by significant, I can say well over a hundred hits a month are gone. I can easily attribute this to the fact that I share links to each new post there, so many people don't have to actually subscribe to my blog. Instead they see a new post to let them know right there. Plus, I've found that Facebooker's are a lot more likely to share these posts. For Google supposedly being the best place for that sort of thing, I certainly don't see it. For that matter, I don't think anyone has ever come across my blog through Google. Instead it's because they're in one of my circle's (usually, not always), or they belong to a group that I'm in and share my posts with as well. This is definitely an area that I've found Google to fall flat on it's face with. I have seen more traffic from Technorati, and even that isn't much. So by leaving FB off, I'll have to come to grips with the fact that I'll be losing a vast sea in which I can promote myself. But that's one heck of a change, and it'll be much harder to build those numbers back up. It is doable though.

So with this I offer some advise to other bloggers. If you see a blog you like that's by anyone, not just me, share it on your various venues. Keep in mind, many of us have public blogs and want people to read and share it. In my case, if I have something up that you'd like me to revisit, for updates, or just a continuation, don't hesitate to let me know.

I'm done with my little rant now.

2 comments:

  1. Unplugging from Facebook is pretty tough. I remember reading a study the other day that most people hate/get stressed by Facebook but that they keep it because they imagine being disconnected to be even more stressful. It's like a feedback loop that gets more loud and shrill with every passing week. Good for you for getting out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the hardest part is the fact that FB is how I've stayed in touch with so many people I served with. In that respect it's been a great support network because we could all see who's hurting and if we need to send someone to check on them.

      Delete